Friday, January 20, 2006

Dallas papers clash over Dampier benching

By now, most followers of the NBA have heard that Erick Dampier has been moved to a bench role for the Mavs. DeSagana Diop finally received his long-overdue spot in the starting lineup and Dallas responded with 3 straight blowout victories, only 1 less than they'd had all year before the switch.

With no game to cover last night, both the Forth Worth Star-Telegram and the Dallas Morning News decided to run a piece on how Dampier feels about being pushed to the bench. Nothing shocking there. Take a look at the headlines:

Star-Telegram: "New role not appealing"
Morning News: "Dampier takes it sitting down"

Despite something vaguely unsettling about the DMN headline, it doesn't necessarily contradict the S-T. But take a look at their respective first lines:

S-T: "Erick Dampier isn't comfortable. Not with coming off the bench or his role this season."
DMN: "Erick Dampier is not discouraged about being bumped out of the starting lineup. "

Huh? Okay, maybe Damp's quotes will shed some light on this:

S-T: "'I'm not really comfortable with it, but I just do whatever I can,' Dampier said of coming off the bench."
DMN: "Is the move to the bench upsetting in any way to the 6-11 center? 'Not at all,' Dampier says. 'I was just taken out of the lineup. I wasn't benched. I still get to go out and help the team win. I'm comfortable.' "

What the f*** is going on here? I can't recall a time when two papers covered the same story this contradictorally. Is that even a word? I don't care -- the universe is clearly caving in on itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home